Monday, October 16, 2006

Best Song of 2006?

Yeah, there's a bit more than two months left, and up until yesterday I was figuring that (for me) it was going to be "See the World" by Gomez, a beautiful song from How We Operate that makes my heart soar.

And then yesterday I purchased The Crane Wife by The Decemberists. It's an amazing album, with lyrics by the most literate and literary songwriter working today (that would be Colin Meloy, also the lead singer). The opening track, "The Crane Wife 3" (interestingly, numbers 1 and 2 come near the end of the CD) is remarkable, a piece that builds and builds and builds to drag along the listener, ecstatic to be in the moment. Their last album, Picaresque, is also worth seeking out (I believe I've mentioned it here before), but this one is just a knockout. Go. Buy it now.

Comments:
.: I haven't bought many CDs this year, but amongst the songs I've heard either on CDs bought or borrowed, or on the radio, I'd say that Wolf Like Me by TV on the Radio is, thus far, the song of the year.
 
I like "Wolf Like Me" too, and that whole album.

But damn, I don't know a whole lot of other Gomez fans. I love those guys. Have you heard the new double-disc singles collections, Five Men in a Hut?
 
I haven't yet, Bill. I do believe I'll seek that one out.

I'm also curious about the new America, changing the style radically. Produced by Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne and James Iha from Smashing Pumpkins, and with guest appearances by Ryan Adams and others. I'm sure it's still mellow gold, but they're one of those inexplicable bands I still like all these years later.

D
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]