Saturday, December 06, 2008

Begging vs. "Begging"

Yesterday Mark Evanier, on his News From Me blog, posted a small item telling his readers that he wants to buy something silly on eBay and so was taking donations so he could afford it. I suspect that Mark isn't broke, and I don't hold it against him for being willing to take advantage of people who want to help him enjoy his life.

However, sometimes more important matters come up. Vera Nazarian is a fantasy author who recently started a small publishing house, Norilana. I've know her for a number of years now, and even helped buy one of her stories for On Spec back in the day. She's in trouble now, due to a string of bad luck that culminates with the death of one parent, sickness of another, and the economic collapse going on in the US. Consequently, she is on the verge of losing her home. And so some good people are going about trying to help her out of this situation. My recommendation? Even if you don't know her, head over there and pony up a few bucks. It doesn't have to be a fortune, but as was shown in the US election, a large group of people all chipping in a little can make a difference.

Help make a difference for something that's worthwhile.

Labels:


Comments:
I'm really proud to be part of this - I donated some $$ when I first read about Vera's situation, and today, someone bid on the bracelet I have in the auction.
 
I haven't been able to figure out where the auction is. Did I miss something really easy?

D
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]