Saturday, December 20, 2008

Shedding the Pounds

When we moved to Saskatoon I had been working indoors for the last couple of years and, sadly, had put on some weight. My peak, last February, was just shy of 220 lbs, which was 7 less than the highest I'd ever been, but still far more than my body is comfortable carrying. At that time I started a concerted effort to drop some of that weight, but by the August move I was only down to 208, with a goal of 195.

Obviously, walking a route every day as a letter carrier was going to help matters along, and so was playing soccer on a regular basis. But I think the onset of the cold weather has actually sped things along. Last Monday the mercury dipped to -42 when wind chill is factored in, and each day since has also been cold, so I've bundled myself up with several layers as I head outside for a walk that amounts to something close to 20km. I stay warm and comfortable - too warm, actually - and at the end of each day my snow pants leave puddles of sweat on the floor, and my parka has to be turned inside-out to dry off. My walk takes between 4 and 5 hours, depending on the day's load, and I don't stop for lunch.

All that said, it still came as a shock to step on the scales last night: 178 pounds. I had to step off and then try again. My belt is now being pulled to the tightest hole and still not quite tight enough, but that drop was amazing nonetheless. My goal now is to not drop any more, and if anything, put a couple more on. That, and tighten up this still slightly paunchy gut of mine.

Labels: ,


Comments:
What can I say but congratulations! This is awesome news, and potentially inspiring to me. I've struggled for months since dropping about 15 pounds, but continue to hover between 197-200. I'm determined to make 2009 the year that this all changes. I'm aiming to drop 10 pounds by the end of February, if not more.
 
Thanks, Randy. I'm back to about 184, which I think is more reasonable. You could do it too, if only you would walk 25km a day without a lunch break.

D
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]